Tuesday, September 6, 2011

High school senior turn college freshmen- complex!!!


There is never a time better than the present!!!

I remember this past year of high school seniors that I work with and the hopeless despair that filled their eyes as they struggled to graduate and eagerly sought after a college career. Novice to the work amidst them, they complained, procrastinated, worked a little and talked a lot. But now they stand as high school diploma holders as they walk the sidewalks of Santa Fe College just proud and gleaming to be a college student.

With their new lives ahead of them, they are trying to reshape their perspective and actions to reflect their new stage in life. Attempting to be more professional and studious, they hit the libraries directly after class and intentionally turn in homework first so that their teachers notice them. Insecure however, they still walk with their heads downs a little as they listen to their iPods and try to remain hidden amongst the crowd. Oh the complexities of being a student, wanting to learn and be acknowledged for their efforts but afraid to shine!!! But as I said in the beginning, there is NEVER a better time than the present because today they are exactly where they need to be- a freshmen at Santa Fe College! I am so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment